You will have fun making them and your dog will have fun eating them 🙂 There are many benefits to baking your own pet treats from monitoring what goes in them, tailor making them to your pets preference and it helps when you have to get rid of the leftovers.
Below are three easy dog biscuit recipes in honour of National Dog biscuit day 🙂
Some things to watch out for;
When preparing homemade dog treats, make sure you take into account any allergies that your pet has to specific ingredients. Store your homemade dog treats in an airtight container and place them in the fridge or freezer. Allow the treat to thaw if frozen for 10 – 20 minutes prior to serving to your dog. Treats can last for up to 6 months in the freezer.
Leftovers trail mix
Combine any of the following leftovers from your refrigerator to create a flavourful trail mix, which your furry friend can enjoy during a hike or after dog park snack.
• Pieces of meat (if seasoned, make sure to rinse off any flavouring)
• Vegetables (no onions)
• Fruit (no grapes or raisins)
• Cut ingredients into ½ inch thick pieces
• Spray lightly with cooking spray
• Place in a food dehydrator or into a 100°C preheated oven until dried
Homemade Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Treats
• 1 banana, peeled
• 1 cup oat flour
• 2/3 cup rolled oats
• 1/2 cup dried parsley
• 3 tablespoons peanut butter
• 1 egg, beaten
• Preheat oven to 180°C.
• Put banana in a large bowl and use a spoon or potato masher to mash it thoroughly. Add oat flour, oats, parsley, peanut butter and egg and stir well to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.
• Roll mixture into 24 balls, using about 1 tablespoon dough for each; transfer to a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet as done. Use the back of a spoon or the heel of your hand to press each ball into a (1 1/2- to 2-inch) coin.
• Bake until firm and deep golden brown on the bottom, 40 to 45 minutes. Set aside to let cool completely.
Homemade Flax Seed Dog Biscuit Recipe
• 340g whole wheat flour
• 340g bread flour
• 55g wheat germ
• 5g salt
• 30g brown sugar
• 3-4T Flax Seed (optional)
• 3 eggs
• 240ml vegetable oil
• 85g powdered dry milk
• 240ml water
• Combine wheat flour, bread flour, wheat germ, salt, and brown sugar, and flax seed in mixing bowl. Stir in eggs and vegetable oil.
• Dissolve dry milk in water then incorporate the mixture.
• Mix to form a very firm dough that is smooth and workable. Adjust by adding a little extra flour or water as required.
• Cover the dough and set aside to relax for 15-20 min.
• Roll the dough out to 1.2cm thick. Cut out biscuits using a cookie cutter (bone-shaped if possible 🙂 ). Place the biscuits on sheet pans lined with baking paper.
• 190°C for approx. 40 minutes or until biscuits are brown and, more importantly, hard. Let biscuits cool.
Have fun baking and treating your furry friend 🙂